1. Do you offer transportation services for citizens visiting Brown or Jackson County that do not live within the county?
Yes, on a first come, first served basis.
2. How far in advance do I need to schedule a ride?
To schedule a ride, please provide a 24 hours in advance notice. Rides requested with less than 24 hours of notice, may not be available due to scheduling.
3. How many vehicles are available for rides?
We currently have 4 vans in Hiawatha and 2 vans in Holton, depending on availability.
4. How much will I pay to ride the General Public Transportation van?
Visit our “Fares and Punch cards” page for more info.
5. What hours does the General Public Transportation Van operate?
We operate Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., excluding holidays. If a ride is needed prior to 7am, please call NEKAAA General Public Transportation dispatch at 785-742-7153 for scheduling options and availability.
6. How is NEKAAA General Public Transportation funded?
- Federal Transit Administration (FTA)
- Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT)
- Non-Emergency Medical Transportation for Kansas Medicaid contract
- User Fees/Donations
7. Can children ride the bus?
Yes. All children, age six and under, must be accompanied by an adult. Children up to 17 years old must have PARENT contact the NEKAAA General Public Transportation to schedule ride.
8. Will you transport animals?
Yes, animals will be permitted to ride with prior notice. Service animals are permitted to ride but all other animals have to be in a crate and secured like cargo. Not all crates are permitted, please call to verify your crate is allowed.
9. What regional service does NEKAAA General Public Transportation provide?
Riders in any of NEKAAA General Public Transportation service areas (Atchison, Brown, Doniphan, Jackson and Nemaha Counties) may call dispatch at 785-742-7153, Monday – Friday from 7:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. to schedule a ride. Please call 24 hours in advance to schedule rides. Cut off for scheduling is 4:30 p.m.
10. Where do I call for more information?
Please call NEKAAA General Public Transportation at 785-742-7153 with additional questions.