Caregiver Help

Where Can We Turn for Help?

Caregiving may be one of the most important roles you will undertake in your lifetime. It is not an easy role, nor is it one for which most of us are prepared. Like most people, you may have questions about your care receiver’s illness or disability.

If you have a job and are juggling several responsibilities, or if your family member or friend needs a lot of assistance, you need help with caregiving. Whether you are expecting to become a caregiver or have been thrust into the role overnight, it is useful to know where you can obtain information or assistance.

Who Can Help You Find Assistance?

There are information services available to help you determine the kinds of assistance you and your care receiver need. You can call:

  • The Northeast Kansas Area Agency on Aging (NEKAAA) for information and assistance available in your community.
  • The Kansas Department on Aging for information and assistance at 800-432-3535.
  • The National Eldercare Locator at 800-677-1116 for information about assistance available in other states.Other resources for caregivers are:
  • Caregiver support groups
  • Alzheimer’s Associations
  • Cancer Associations
  • Arthritis Associations
  • American Red Cross
  • Parkinson’s Associations
  • Churches, Synagogues, etc.
  • Family members and friends who have been caregivers

If you are an employee covered under the Federal Family and Medical Leave Act, you are entitled to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave during any one year to care for a spouse, son, daughter, or parent who has a serious health condition. Contact your human resources department for more information.